Thursday, January 07, 2010

One week in Rio

A question just came around on the CBC email list: What would you do if you had just 1 more week in Rio?

The "one week in Rio" question comes up a lot, actually. My answer is really, I'd do exactly what I do during every week in Rio, because every week in Rio is such a gift! And here's my typical week in Rio:

See all my friends, first of all. And go play with my blocos. Enjoy the beaches (assuming the water cleans up soon!). Eat squeaky cheese. Spend a day at the Jardim Botanico. Splurge on a sunset ride up the Pao de Acucar. Hop the trolley to Santa Teresa and go all the way to the end, and all the way back again, hopping off for lunch at the Bar do Gomes and browsing the little art shops. Get a shot of straight-up cachaca and pasteis-de-camarao (shrimp pastries) at the Belmonte (in Flamengo or Ipanema). Have breakfast of waffles-with-honey at Cafeina cafe in Ipanema. Maybe spend a day at Rio Surf-n-Stay for a surfing lesson. Maybe a couple days at Ilha Grande (once the pousadas open again after the mudslide tragedy last week... so sad). Take some samba lessons, some percussion lessons, but don't stress about it. Visit Casa Oliveira, swear not to buy any instruments and end up buying some anyway. Sunday, go to the Hippie Fair in Ipanema. At least one sunset walking along Ipanema beach with an agua-de-coco.

At night, off to my favorite music spots...

MONDAY - Banga rehearsal in Lapa, then off to the Sambodromo to see Salgueiro practicing with the whole bateria. (this is new, they just started doing a bateria rehearsal at the Sambodromo every Monday. Unless they have just had a Sambodromo rehearsal the previous weekend). Later - Richah singing at Carioca da Gema, in Lapa.
TUESDAY - Choro at Trapiche Gamboa, a hidden gem in Gamboa (on Rua Sacadura Cabral, 55)
WEDNESDAY - Escola technical rehearsal night for Portela and Salgueiro, at their quadras, 8pm
THURSDAY - Unidos da Tijuca street rehearsal, right downtown on the Avenida Venezuela. Or a longer trip to distant Beija-Flor.
FRIDAY, SATURDAY, SUNDAY - bounce around between Sambodromo rehearsals and my favorite escolas - Sao Clemente on Friday, and on Saturday Estacio, Imperio Serrano, Salgueiro, many others.

And finally, abandon the above plan entirely when I meet some new friends who invite me to do something unexpected. Which always happens!

Come to think of it, I think I will spend next week doing this.... :)

1 Comments:

At 5:44 AM, Blogger me said...

I like your recommendations.
Next time I'm in Rio (hopefully soon).
Thanks, Reuven.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home