Thursday, December 10, 2009

Lapa for Carnaval!

The rumors are true - I've recklessly quit my job again and am heading back to Brazil. Three months this time! It'll be my last use of my Brazilian visa, so I might as well do it right.

This time I had the bright idea that it would be fun to stay in Rio's main music district, Lapa, for the month of Carnaval. I happen to have a friend who has an apartment for rent right in Lapa, so, I wrote him, and he wrote back, and it's available, and I booked it, and I paid him, and it's for real! I'm staying in Lapa! For the 5 weeks around Carnaval - fantastic!

I'll do a little hopping around before that - New Year's in Salvador in my own apartment with friends, a couple weeks in Laranjeiras or Flamengo with still other friends, plenty of beach time before and after the Carnaval season. But I'm so pleased that my main spot will be in Lapa for Carnaval itself. All the music clubs are there, and so many of the bloco rehearsals and classes, and I will be much, much closer to the escolas, and much, much closer to Santa Teresa too (one of my favorite areas of Rio). My bloco Bangalafumenga has moved its rehearsals to Lapa this year. Can-not WAIT. I'm listening to my Brazilian Portuguese podcast lessons every day... I already have my Brazil suitcase all packed. (Literally. It's totally packed and ready to go.)

This move is a big one because I also am leaving Portland and leaving my job. Basically I will not have a permanent residence for three months. So, not only am I packed for Brazil, I've already moved all my stuff out of my house, and nearly totally packed up my office at work. I've got a big going-away party planned on Saturday (actually it's not planned at all, but I went ahead and invited the whole world anyway). Then a couple days in Seattle, a couple days in Boston with family, I fly out late on Christmas Day, and the day after Christmas I will be on Ipanema beach. Settling in for a three month stay.

Want to come along? :) It's all waiting for you.

5 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Mick said...

Hi Kath,

I'm turning green!

Hope you don't mind that I've included (in think the word is aggrogated) your blogs in the UKSA RSS Newsfeeds. In fact yours is on one side and Giselle's on the other! :o)

Keep your eyes open for our choro teacher Gaio de Lima he's going home for a couple of months. His choro group in Rio is "Vendendo Peixe"

I'm looking forward to your trip too.
Mick

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger eric said...

Congratulations! I'm insanely envious but looking forward to your posts. Good luck with all the big changes!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi cat !!
been an avid reader of your blog for the last year, wishing a safe journey - and puleeeze keep us posted.

Can't wait to hear what's going on @ Imperio, Mocidade etc. ;-)

Excellent blog !! Keep going !!1

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hugely jealous since at one time my big dream was to celebrate my 40th bday (which is Jan 22) in Rio and then stay for Csrnaval. Oh well, once again I can live vicariously through you. Enjoy!!!

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home