Thursday, December 27, 2007

Packing for Rio

I head to Rio tomorrow. AT LAST. I'll arrive Saturday morning! I feel like am shaking off my university professor cloak like a thick winter fur that I can cast off. Like a fox in springtime. Stepping into my second skin. Just for a couple weeks, anyway, then I'll have to put the winter coat back on, but I won't think about that till I after too.

I just heard that Bangalafumenga is having a big show in Lapa on Saturday night! The night I arrive! They had a big show in Lapa the very night I arrived last year too. (Now I'll expect my own personal Bangalafumenga show every year now, whenever I arrive in Rio.) I can't WAIT to see everybody....

I am so happy to know that on Saturday I will be on Ipanema beach, and then dancing with Banga all night at the Fundicao.

Let's see, have I packed everything?
1. Flipflops in my airport carry-on bag so I can change into them instantly
2. Smallest, lightest shoes possible, for the airplane - since I'll never wear them again after the airplane.
3. Moleskin & bandaids for the blisters I will get from the new sandals I'll be buying
4. One pair cheap sunglasses
5. Two short skirts, three halter tops and a bra. That's basically it for clothes. I found out last year that you needn't bring any more clothes to Rio in January than will fit in a pandeiro case.
6. Two bikinis, a beach wrap, and three bottles of sunblock
7. The 500 reais that I saved last time I left Brazil (no point converting to dollars!), plus a wad of cash & bankcards. A BIG wad. Rio's now as expensive as Manhattan. (Well, cabs are cheaper in NY, actually)
8. Big empty suitcase for the pandeiros & cavaquinhos & mallets & cds & Tom Jobim guitar books I'm planning to buy
9. Edirol sound recorder ready to use, loaded w/fresh batteries
10. Tiny notebook that fits in a pocket, with, already written into it:
- The updated Sambodromo schedule (check the Liesa website... yup, there are changes)
- Days of technical rehearsals for all escolas, & the streets their quadras are on
- Address of my hostel. I'm trying a new one, Rio Hostel's new branch in the Arpoador.
- All my friends' phone #'s & emails.
12. And a couple drumsticks since I want to keep working on stick technique improvements from my lesson with Mark Lamson. I'm hoping to have actually improved by the time he gets back to Portland in a month!

And:
No socks except the pair I'm wearing on the airplane
No pants except what I'm wearing on the airplane
No umbrella. Can buy one on the street for 5 reais.
No raincoat. You'd just die of heat stroke if you wore one.
No sandals. I'll buy a pair in Ipanema when I get in.
No 2nd piece of luggage. Reserved for possible large drum or fantasia headdress on return.
No jewelry. Even if I don't get robbed, I always end up jumping into the ocean sooner or later, and that's no good for jewelry.

It's dark and snowy and cold here in Oregon. Can't wait....

5 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Ali Alpay said...

Have a nice trip! Love the light packing philosophy, except for the cheap sunglasses (cheap sunglasses usually equals eye damage IMHO).

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the tips.

I'll be round the corner,1 block from the hippie fair. Well, I expect to be , I'm about to book it! Is 3.500BRL good for two weeks?

Got any tips on where to see some choro between 28/01/08 & 11/02/08?

Quite a few from London & Ireland will be around.

See ya

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger eric said...

Hope I see you down there! I'm going with Jorge this year... arrive Jan 10, leave Jan 26. I think we have a couple of days of overlap? Have a great trip!

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kathleen...
Will be following your adventures from afar (though... don't expect sitting in front of a computer is at the top of your list of "Things to do in Rio"!!). Keep up this excellent work (any news about that Choro University... I 'd love to hear more).
Stay safe!
john

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger NicBell said...

Hey Kat,

I don't think I've had the chance to meet you yet, but I am really enjoying reading your blog. I'm going to Rio for the first time on Monday, and am looking to try to stay for several months, perhaps taking a trip up to the northeast while I'm there. If you're in town drop me a line, I'm renting an apartment in Laranjeiras with a room to spare, and can't wait to go hit up all of the rodas de samba.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home