Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Batuca's first show!

I'm staying with my friends Eduardo and Olivia, who I met years ago when I first came to Rio. Eduardo's a professional musician and directs Carnaval street bands here - his specialty is bands that play a variety of Brazilian rhythms, not only samba - and Olivia, who is professionally a film director, loves to play as well. Anyway, the next morning I'm blearily awakening at mid-day after my late-night Tijuca adventure, when Eduardo comes knocking on my door saying "Vamos tocar?" ("Let's play?") and saying something about terceira. Ten minutes later I've chugged down some coffee and Eduardo's saying in Portuguese, "So, I've got this brand new group, about forty drummers, and we've got our first ever public show, and since it's a brand new group it's mostly beginners so I think we need you on terceira, is that okay? You don't mind playing terceira do you? It'll be simple. Very easy. There's only four pieces and each has two or three different patterns and just a few hand signs and a couple of breaks and an entrance and an ending thing, and sometimes a little weird thing in the middle, okay? Very easy! Don't worry, you can just watch Vanessa and you'll be fine!" 

An alarmingly short time later I'm in a little van full of excited chattering Brazilians heading over the long bridge to Niteroi, the city on the other side of the bay from Rio. The group turns out to be called "Batucalacatuca", or Batuca for short. (Eduardo's previous group, a group I played in for years, was called "Bangalafumenga" and I'm trying to figure out what his deal is with these extremely long names that start with B?) Several of the bell players adopt me for some reason and give me a variety of festive little hats to wear and help me cut up my t-shirt. (you always have to wear the band t-shirt when you are playing in a Carnaval street band, but it seems to be required that the girls all immediately cut pieces off of the t-shirts and re-work them into much sexier little tanktops decorated with festive little colored ribbons.) Then suddenly there we are in Niteroi, milling around on a little street by a new hostel that is hosting our little Carnaval show. Ages pass with no clear plan apparent, everybody wandering around chattering, drums piled up all over the street. We start drifting over to a tiny street bar that has sprung into existence on the corner and start chugging down coconut-smoothies, which are absolutely incredible.  I see a cluster of perhaps a dozen black guys coming drifting up the street. They're all wearing identical green t-shirts and I realize they must have just finished parading in one of the local Carnaval groups here in Niteroi. They stand in a bunch with their arms folded over their chests, watching us with that skeptical "can these white girls actually play?" sort of look. I'm starting to get a little worried that I've stupidly agreed to perform in a group whose repertoire I only saw for the first time a couple of hours ago, but Eduardo zips by a few times to mention again "Just stand next to Vanessa," and "You'll be fine, just watch Vanessa", except I he forgets to point out who Vanessa is. Then all of a sudden we're starting! I think, well, hell with it, I strap on the terceira, I get in the middle of the 35 or so drummers, suddenly we're playing and I realize that next to me is a slender, tanned Brazilian woman who also has a terceira on, and she is playing like HELL. Strong and clean, and wonderful technique. All her syncopations are spot on. I decide "I'm just going to assume this is Vanessa", and I play next to her for the entire show. Watching her for every break. Laying out of the 1st measure of each piece and coming in on the 2nd once I see what the pattern is. She realizes what I'm doing and shoots me a grin now and then.

Pretty soon I've got hold of the rep and - My. God. It is so magical playing terceira again. I feel like I've come home after years of exile.  Even though it's a new bloco, even though it's mostly beginners, this is SO much fun. The repertoire is fantastic. (Eduardo has a particular skill at devising arrangements that are not too technically difficult, and are achievable by beginners, but that have a truly intense fun groove once all the different instruments are playing together). We're not playing all that fast or anything, but the whole crowd is dancing. I look over to the side at one point and spot all the black guys in the green t-shirts again, and they're all dancing now. One of them actually holding his beer cup in his teeth just so he can clap his hands over his head while he dances.

Partway through the parade I realize it was definitely a stupid idea to jump in on terceira without having played it in years. There's certain back and leg muscles you need just to be able to carry the thing, there's stamina you need to build up, there's calluses you need on your hands, there's arm muscles that need to strengthen. An hour into the show I'm dripping with sweat, my legs are shaking, my back aching, I've got bruises on both knees and blisters in 3 different places on my right hand. I also have a POUNDING headache that I have not managed to shake since the plane flight, I dimly realize I haven't really had much sleep in the last forty-eight hours, I feel basically like hell. And yet I'm so happy, and I keep thinking: This is where I'm supposed to be. Playing terceira in Rio. 

If there is a Heaven, if you go to your favorite ever moment, this is where I'll be: playing terceira in Rio. Perhaps right at that gorgeous moment in the maculele when we switch from pattern 1 to pattern 2 and the terceiras come rolling in like thunder, like wild galloping horses. Everybody dancing, all my friends around me.

At the end the slender Brazilian woman turns to me. It turns out she is indeed Vanessa. She says with a smile, "Toca bem." (You play well.)

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great to read you're back, Kat ! Been an awful long time since the last post... Would you please consider moving to rio ;-) ?

Have a nice stay !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home