Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fantasia!!!!

I got a Cubango bateria fantasia!!!! (the Carnaval costume). I got a fantasia, I got a fantasia, I got a fantasia!!!! That means I will get to play in the Cubango bateria in the big parade in the Sambodromo!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. It's for real now, it's really going to happen! It's right here in my apartment. I tried it on and the shoes even fit.

I am also definitely going to die of heat stroke. But it will be a happy death.

I called one Rio friend immediately after and she immediately said: "This is a historic moment. Whenever a person gets a bateria fantasia for the first time - no matter who - no matter what escola - it is a truly historic moment. Congratulations."

What a fantastic day. Half a day spent hanging out with the Cubango guys waiting for the costume (which turned out to mean, half a day spent laughing nonstop... wow, what a cool, fun bunch of guys!) and then THE FANTASIA at last, and I finally learned what the mysterious Cubango song is all about, and then I've spent all night bar-hopping in Lapa, saw countless pagode bands and a really cool maracatu troupe complete with most excellent dancers. Details soon.... what a day. DID I MENTION I HAVE A CUBANGO BATERIA FANTASIA?

4 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Blogger Miguel Lyons-Cavazos said...

Let me be the first gringo from the US to congratulate you. This is so cool, SO cool!

And, thanks for keeping up such a great blog. What a great job you're doing depicting the wonderful craziness that you're going through. For someone like myself--who's never been to Rio--it's just an adventure to read.

And thank you for finding the time to do so when you're so busy.

Cheers! I'd tell you to have fun over there, but there's no need, clearly ;)

 
At 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kathleen! It's lovely to read your blog and this way to be able to enjoy Rio and Carnaval. Thank you ja try to survive :)

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger andyb said...

Way to go Kathleen!!!!!

I'm so pleased for you, you must be bursting with happiness and pride - you wait till I tell my students about this, they will go crazy!

Just have a blast (I know you will) and remember your friends here in the UK, we are thinking of you (you lucky £+*&h!)

Any photos and vids would be most welcome!

Andy Bilham

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Patricia Barnhart said...

parabéns!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home