Monday, January 14, 2008

Squeaky cheese!

Friday - ran around on errands all day. I'd forgotten to pick up repique sticks, I remembered I wanted to get straps at Maracatu Brasil, I had to move my bodyboard clear to Leblon and pick up Rodrigo's cd.... etc. etc.... It's my last full day in Rio. I can't bear to think of it.

Finally hooked up with Rob and Charlotte on the beach, where they were in the hazy-headed endstage of a 5-hour afternoon in the sun on Ipanema beach. Avron and some other friends happened to walk up. Beach vendors were collecting their umbrellas, people packing up their things and heading home. The sun sank gently to the horizon... everybody on the beach applauded the sunset, as they always do on Ipanema beach, as if thanking the sun for the wonderful day. So sweet.

Rob flagged down a cheese vendor - one of those guys who spends all day, every day, walking through the beach carrying a cooler full of little sticks of white cheese, and a tiny home-made charcoal oven made out of a couple of coffee cans. The other 4 of us were all suddenly struck by what a brilliant idea this was, and the cheese man was the happy recipient of 5 cheese orders at once. Under the sunset, he set up his little coffee can, crouched down on the sand and lit the tiny fire inside, carefully selected 5 cheese skewers out of his little styrofoam cooler, covered each carefully in flakes of oregano, grilled them each individually, carefully handed them to each person.

Charlotte bit into hers and said "Squeaky squeaky squeaky!"

I bit into mine and I replied "Squeaky squeaky squeaky!"

It went EEE! in my teeth.
It was INCREDIBLY good.
There is nothing quite like the squeaky cheese! Especially at sunset on Ipanema beach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home