Saturday, February 17, 2007

Friday Carnaval: Monobloco de novo

I haven't written any entries the last couple days because I got sick again - the same vicious stomach cramps that laid me low (and knocked me unconscious, once) last year. I still managed to get out to see Imperio Serrano's last rehearsal (frustratingly boring - only a tiny part of the bateria and by 1am they'd still not gotten around to playing the samba! - just diddling their way through a bunch of old songs) and Estacio de Sa (more fun, bigger bateria, and they were actually playing the samba). A pretty early evening, home by 2:30, but I crashed in bed afterwards and spent most of Friday curled up in bed with a fever and more of those gnawing stomach cramps. It wasn't bad - any time I got too fevery I'd go take another shower and then lie under the ceiling fan for a while. But I couldn't seem to stand up and eventually I missed Xuxa's happy hour and bloco parade - dang! I'd really wanted to go see him play!

Tottered out of bed eventually to go to Monobloco. I was hoping that by having spent all day in bed, I'd have enough energy to play a four-hour show that starts at midnight, but in the elevator down to the street I wasn't so sure - I was doubled over from the cramps and had a clanging headache. But I'd started on antibiotics that day and dosed myself silly with a triple dose of ibuprofen, antihistamines and decongestents, and that all seemed to help. An hour later I had my caixa on at Monobloco good to go. It was a GREAT show. The first chords and my energy came rushing back.

This time around, two weeks after my last frustrating show with them, this time, it was GOOD. The caixa felt GREAT. Every pattern felt solid and steady and sure, I knew all the calls, all the new breaks they'd added, all the new esquentas (thank god I'd made such an effort not to miss rehearsals).

The Fundicao was completely packed, floor to ceiling, with a huge happy crowd. We played all my favorite songs, all the songs I've been listening to for years on the two Monobloco cd's. I was so happy to be there actually playing in the band whose cd's I'd been singing along with for so long. I was IN THE BAND playing Que Beleza and Rap do Real, with Pedro Luis singing right behind me! hey! I was really happy.

Boy, it really is Carnaval....something in the air, in the energy....I left the Fundicao at 4:30 am, floating with energy and good cheer, on the 50-meter walk between the Fundicao Progresso and my bus stop, I was propositioned by about 10 guys. "Can I kiss you?" "You are very pretty, can I kiss you?" "Do you want to kiss?" "Would you like to kiss?" To my complete surprise my answers were "No" "No" "No" "OK" - and there I was making out with a complete random stranger on the Lapa streets. I left him behind eventually (he wanted my address, but I said nah, thanks, just this one kiss), got to my bus stop and got in a little van that was headed south. But there was a thick traffic jam and we were only moving about ten feet at a time. The window was open and a cute guy stuck his head in the window and started talking to me. He knew a little English and was so charming, I ended up making out with him too. (Hoping that whatever stomach bug I have is not contagious! But my theory is, whatever it is, it's endemic to Rio and these guys are already immune to it.) Then his brother pushed him aside and wanted a kiss too, but I told him "I like to wait at least 5 minutes between men" and he said "Five minutes? Five minutes! OK! Where's a watch! Does someone have a watch? In five minutes you will kiss me!"

Unfortunately for him, the traffic jam cleared up four minutes later and I was headed south to Flamengo, wondering what sort of Carnaval spirit has gotten into me. I didn't used to be the sort of girl who would do that sort of thing. And certainly not one who would expose innocent strangers to a potential stomach bug. What's happened to me?

But - all together now - the universal rallying cry - the infinite excuse -

"BUT IT'S CARNAVAL!!!!"

1 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Waah! W H A T A N I G H T! Who'd have thought that 18 years after hitting my first repenique that I'd be playing in the Monobloco bateria with Kathleen and some of the best rep players on the planet.

I had no such offers on the way back.

Hope you feel better soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home