Sunday, January 28, 2007

Name that escola!

I realized that several of the Grupo Especial escolas that I've recorded recently at the Sambodromo have something distinctive about their samba groove. So I made a little "Name that escola" mp3 with snippets of four different Rio escolas. Just posted it to homepage.mac.com/sambakat, in the mp3 section. If you are a sambista - can you name all four? (If you know this year's songs, you'll pick out two escolas just by that. But you shouldn't need the songs!)

More tomorrow about all four escolas. I'll also post longer recordings that showcase more of their fancy stuff.

2 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kat, looking forward to your long recordings of Imperio & Mocidade especially. Would also love to hear a good recording of Portelas caixas and third surdos if you get a chance. I've booked Jonas to do a weekend workshops in the uk in May and I'm very excited about it. Really enjoying the blog.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger samba kat said...

Hey Paul - I just posted a few Imperio mp3s to the mac.com website. I have also have a lot more of them from their quadra, especially some close-ups of the bells, but unfortunately the sound quality is absolutely hideous in the quadra.

I've got a lot of Mocidade recordings for sure, both from the Sambodromo and the quadra; the only problem is filtering through it all to pick out just one. And I know I have Portela recordings somewhere but can't find them right now...hmm.... I will keep looking.

Glad you like the blog. And, you'll love Jonas!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home